A minimum separation of six (6) inches should be maintained between a handheld wireless phone and an implantable medical device, such as a pacemaker or implantable cardioverter defibrillator, to avoid potential interference with the device. Persons who have such devices:
- Should ALWAYS keep the phone more than six (6) inches from their implantable medical device when the phone is turned ON;
- Should not carry the phone in a breast pocket;
- Should use the ear opposite the implantable medical device to minimize the potential for interference;
- Should turn the phone OFF immediately if there is any reason to suspect that interference is taking place.
- Should read and follow the directions from the manufacturer of your implantable medical device. If you have any questions about using your wireless phone with such a device, consult your health care provider.
For additional information, see http://www.fcc.gov/oet/rfsafety/rf-faqs.html#.